Homeownership is a journey fraught with many dilemmas, and few are more important than the one between a roof repair and roof replacement. While both carry an upfront cost, making the wrong decision can come back to haunt you later on. So how do you know whether to repair or replace your roof?
Here are some tips to help you make that all-important decision:
1. Assess the damage
Take a look at your roof. If you see any of the following characteristics, it may be time to replace your shingles:
- buckling or blistering shingles
- Shingles that are curling up at the edges
- Shingles that are bulging (due to heat not being able to escape from the attic).
- Discoloration or stains on the shingles (from algae growth)
2. Consider the age of your roof
When you first notice the telltale signs of roof damage, it might be tempting to simply patch up the problem area. However, it’s important to consider how long ago your roof was replaced and how much wear-and-tear it has endured over the years. If your roof has a 25yr shingle on it and is older than 15 years , we recommend having a professional come out to inspect the situation to determine if it’s ideal to do a roof repair if needed or roof replacement.
If you have a new or recently replaced roof that has been in place for less than 10 years, we recommend getting it inspected every 3 to 5 years.
3. Examine your curb appeal
- Examine your curb appeal.
- Look for missing or cracked shingles, Apron flashing, chimney flashing and gutters.
- Also pay attention to your fascia and soffit boards if they are not wrapped.
Know when to Repair, and when to Replace your Roof.
If you’re considering a roof repair or roof replacement, it’s important to determine the best course of action based on your needs and budget.
Replacing your roof can cost more up front, but it might be in your best interest to do so depending on how much it would cost to repair your roof as far as the cost involved and the age of the roof. The money you spend to repair your roof could go towards a replacement with Warranties and Guarantees from a reputable roofing company.
We know that this process can be confusing, and we’re here to help. There are many factors to consider before making any big decisions regarding your roof, if you don’t have the experience and know how, you should never attempt to do any roof repairs or roof replacement yourself, stay safe and leave it to the pros! Contact us today for a discounted consultation and price quote!
Take the free QUIZ (click the Chat button on the lower right corner of the screen} or click here to know whether you need to repair or replace your roof.
Do you want a roof replacement done right the first time? We’ll take care of it!
A-1 Roofing’s Kangaroof offers a comprehensive service and a fair price.
- Purchase a roof inspection for $99 along with a written report.
- Receive a $20,000 Guarantee when we do a roof replacement for you.
- Learn about our cost-effective Roofing Systems for your home.
Call us at 410-799-1600 today if you have any questions about your roof or need to schedule an inspection.