Roofing is a significant part of our home. Everything from the walls to the floors has protection from the roof. The roof protects us from all weather conditions, be it hot summers or rainy winters. It is an important part of our house and yet it is often ignored until some issue arises. This issue can be costly if not resolved quickly and professionally, and that’s why it’s important to know how you can find out if your roof needs repair or replacement, before it becomes a problem for yourself and your family. It’s better to be proactive than reactive.
1. If you have a 3-tab shingle and your roof is 18-23 years old, then it’s time to get a new roof, or at least think about getting one. The life expectancy for a 3-Tab shingle is 25 yrs. A great analogy on how to look at this is the same way we look at a car tire.
If the shingles on your roof are three tabs and are between 18 to 23 years old, then it’s time to get a new roof. Roofs with these type shingles attached to your roof, should be replaced every 18 to 23 years. They last longer in cooler and wetter climates than in hot and dry ones. Well-maintained roofs with a 3-Tab shingle roof covering installed on it should last an average of 25 years while poorly maintained roofs last only half as long.
Roofing systems also wear faster if the roof is not properly ventilated. When a roofing system has proper ventilation it increases the life of the roofing system and increases the comfort level on the 2nd and third floors of your home, it also increases the life of your air – conditioning unit.
If your roof has significant hail or wind damage, or any number of other weather-related problems or issues, those things would also be cause to get a new roof or think about getting one.
YOUR ROOF NEVER TAKES A DAY OFF FROM THE DAY THAT ITS INSTALLED.
There are a number of ways to tell if your roof may need replacing, but the most common indicators include hail or wind damage, or any number of other weather-related problems.
- Hail is a type of rock that forms in the air and falls to the ground during storms. It can cause significant damage to homes, especially when it comes in contact with the asphalt. Depending on the size of the hail that hits the roof, the hail actually dents and creates an impression in the shingle.. In some cases, hail can even break through the glass windows and doors of your home as well as denting cars parked outside while also damaging items inside like furniture and appliances. The best way to protect against this type of damage is by having strong materials installed on top such as shingles made from an Architectural stand point, Architectural shingles are heavier and are warranted to withstand a higher wind rating.
- Wind is another thing worth considering. If your roof constantly has shingles blowing off of it and you see shingles lying in the yard, it would be wise to up-grade to an Architectural shingle. Again, this type shingle carries a higher wind rating and material warranty.
- You can also see if the shingles on your roof are curling or buckling (making them less resistant to wind uplift in storms). If you have a few loose shingles here and there, it’s not necessarily time for a full replacement. But if you notice that large sections of your roof are starting to curl, it may be time for a new one.You should check your entire roof for signs of damage before deciding whether or not to replace it. If any part of the structure has suffered severe damage, such as being blown off entirely or having several broken tiles, that section needs to be replaced before another storm hit — even if other portions of the roof look fine. A good rule of thumb is that if you are having to pay out more than 30% of the cost of a new roof to repair the existing one, then it would be wise to consider getting a new roof. The cost of repairing or replacing your roof can be a little overwhelming, so it’s important to know when it’s time to do either. A good rule of thumb is that if you are having to pay out more than 30% of the cost of a new roof to repair the existing one, then it would be wise to consider getting a new roof.
2. If you’re unsure about whether or not you need to replace your roof, there are
some other things that could indicate that replacement is necessary:
● Cracked or missing shingles can indicate that you have a problem with ventilation and definitely warrants an inspection.
● Check for cracked or missing shingles. If you can see cracks in the shingles, chances are there are more throughout the roof.
● The same goes for missing pieces of shingle, which could indicate an underlying problem such as rot or termite damage.
● Look out for curling and buckling. A curled or buckled shingle can also mean a problem with ventilation. Meaning your roof isn’t breathing properly.
● Check for granule deterioration of your shingles, these are tell tell signs that the tread on your shingles is wearing out, like the tread on a car tire.
3. If you have any wood rot around the exterior of your home, then it would definitely be wise and prudent to think about getting a new roof.
- You can use these indicators to determine whether you’re in need of a roof repair or roof replacement /new roof.
- If you’ve had your current roof for more than 15 years and it’s a 3-tab 25 yr shingle it might be in your best interest and time for an upgrade. Older roofs are more likely to leak, which can lead to significant water damage inside the home.
4. If you’re experiencing lots of heat on your 2nd floor in the summer time and your shingles are blistered and curling, it’s probably time for a replacement.
These types of materials generally last up to 25 years before needing replacement; however, if they were installed improperly by an inexperienced contractor at the beginning and have since been subject to hail storms or other weather-related damage, then they may only last 15 years instead of 25.
5. IF THERE IS ANY VISIBLE DAMAGE SUCH AS CRACKS IN THE SURFACE OR MISSING TILES THEN IT NEEDS REPLACING IMMEDIATELY!
The five indicators listed above are clear signals that your roof is in need of a repair or replacement.
A Professional Roofing Contractor can help you make wise and prudent decisions and choices when it comes to your roofing system. So be sure to hire one before making any big roofing decisions.
Do you want a roof replacement done right the first time? We’ll take care of it!
A-1 Roofing’s Kangaroof offers a comprehensive service and a fair price.
- Purchase a roof inspection for $99 along with a written report.
- Receive a $20,000 Guarantee when we do a roof replacement for you.
- Learn about our cost-effective Roofing Systems for your home.
Call us at 410-799-1600 today if you have any questions about your roof or need to schedule an inspection.
Leave A Comment