Your roof is the most expensive appliance in your home, it never takes a day off from the day it’s installed. It’s the first line of defense against the elements, and it protects everything else from water damage and other problems. So it’s not surprising that you want to keep your roof clean and well-maintained. But what’s the best way to do it? How often should you clean your roof? And what should you look for when cleaning?
Here are some tips for keeping your roof and the accessories in tip-top shape this summer:
Watch Your Step
The materials and tools you use to clean your roof are very important. You need to be careful because they can cause injury if not handled correctly, so do your research before purchasing anything new.
Watching where you step is also important when on the roof. The last thing you want is for someone else’s foot to slip on the shingles and cause them to flake or peel off, which could leave a hole in them and make it difficult for us later when we try fixing any damage caused by this unfortunate event (and trust me– it happens!).
Don’t Forget About the Gutters
The gutter’s play an important also. It allows the rainwater to drain away from the home, so it’s essential that you clean them regularly. If you neglect this task, nothing else will matter when it comes to keeping your home dry and healthy during this season.
● Check both sides of each gutter for any holes or cracks where dirt could get trapped inside. If there are any issues here, fix them immediately by using some extra caulk around where they meet (this prevents water from running down into other parts).
● Use a broom to sweep off all loose debris from around your gutters, down into another container (like a bucket). Then use a ladder or step stool to reach those areas that are high.
Clean Out the Chimney
Another area that ties into the roof is the chimney, it may need to be cleaned also. This can be done with a wire brush or a vacuum, depending on how much debris is in and around it. Once it’s clear of any debris, you’ll need to clean out your fireplace and vents as well. If they’re dirty, use some vinegar and water (about 1 cup per gallon) mixed into a paste before brushing them on and off with an old toothbrush or broom handle.
Look for Damage
● Look for signs of damage.
● Look for cracks in the roof.
● Check to see if your shingles are curling or even missing, especially if they’re white shingles and not colored ones. If you see evidence of damage, contact a professional immediately so they can inspect it and give you an estimate on any repairs that may need to be done before they get worse due to moisture intrusion and rot over time (which will cost more money).
Do you want a roof replacement done right the first time? We’ll take care of it!
A-1 Roofing’s Kangaroof offers a comprehensive service and a fair price.
- Purchase a roof inspection for $200 along with a written report.
- Receive a $20,000 Guarantee when we do a roof replacement for you.
- Learn about our cost-effective Roofing Systems for your home.
Call us at 410-799-1600 today if you have any questions about your roof or need to schedule an inspection.